Thoughts on Jon Martin and Richie Incognito



As you are all aware,  offensive tackle Jonathan Martin of the Miami Dolphins left the team due to alleged harassment and hazing by his teammates, the ringleader being Richie Incognito.

No one knows what really went down between them but from what I have read I have to take Jon's side. 

There is no excuse for bullying or hazing.  Ever.  Even on a sports team.  Richie may be 30 but he has the social skills of a 13 year old.  Studies have proven that hazing is actually counterproductive as the victim hates his tormenter even more and is more likely to lash out.

However in Jonathan's case he did not lash out.  He walked away from the team and sought therapy. He even tried to befriend his harassers.   I'm not sure if that was the right idea too.  I too have been the victim of bullying, in the workplace and in school.    In school it was a group of guys with one has the ringleader.  They would make lewd comments and joke, block the door entryway so I could not get through.  One time they even shoved me in a closet.  I tried talking to my parents, teachers, principal, friends, and other classmates but no one believed me until late my junior year of high school (this had been going on since 7th grade) when the ringleader made a gross comment to one of my friends.  The teacher overheard it and sent him to the office.  I actually got called into the principals office as a witness.  I told him what happened and said "he has been doing this to me as well since 7th grade, and now you are finally going to do something about it?"  The next year in the school handbook they put a sexual harassment policy statement in, but he still kept at me until one day I turned around and punched him in the chest.  Fortunately I did not get suspended and he only bothered me one more time after that.

Another problem I had in school was a female classmate.  This happened in 5th grade.  All my classmates would play tag at recess.  I wanted to play too but this girl wouldn't let me.  Other kids invited me to join but she would holler no she can't play!  I never knew why she would never let me play.  I never did anything to her.  It was weird.  But it hurt my friends would not stick up for me.

During the last job I had there was a college student working there during the summer hired on through the temp service.  He was obnoxious and had no work ethic.  One night we were working together on a project and he pulls out his cell phone to text.  I told him to put it away and cell phones were not permitted on the work floor.  He put it away but swore at me.  That is where the trouble started.

Anytime we were in the same work group he would purposely slack off just to get at me, it was to the point where it was becoming detrimental to production.  I would report it to the supervisor.  I don't know if he was talked to but it seemed the more I complained, the worse it got.  He would also flip me off in passing.  He even flipped me off during a meeting and called me a cunt right in front of everyone but was never sent home.  I went to HR and there response was don't worry, his last day is tomorrow so just ignore him.  WTF?

Bullying has long suffering consequences.  Even though my prep school days are long past I still have vivid memories of the way I was treated in school.  And my harasser at work left the company three years ago I still get pissed everytime I think about it, and on my last day of work this earlier this year I gave the HR guy hell for it.

I pray for Jonathan Martin that he gets the help he needs, and Richie Incognito that he gets the help he needs.  I have no use for bullies, that is why I loathe the Palins so much.  Remember how they treated their neighbor and Todd beating up the black kid 4 years younger than him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...