Happy Memorial Day

Hope you are all having a great Memorial Day!





I'm going to share a personal story with you.  When I was a child I hated Memorial Day.  And I no longer recite the pledge of allegiance.

My dad was on our local cemetery board and every Memorial Sunday they had services at an old unused church across from the cemetery.  Since my dad was on the board the whole family had to go and attend the services.  As a 5-13 year old Memorial Day meant nothing to me.  I really did not care.  The services were boring, before the services the cemetery board had a business meeting.  That was boring too.

Also my third grade and first grade teachers attended the services as well.  They were mother and daughter and were also involved with the cemetery.  I did not like these teachers because they would scream and holler at me and my classmates for the slightest transgression like coughing or calling out the wrong answer.  The third grade teacher yelled so much that one time she got laryngitis.  Sitting in that church with them made me physically ill, even after I was no longer their student. 

As soon as I was old enough I started getting out of going to the services.  This was early high school.  I have never attended a Memorial Day Service since then. 

As for the pledge of allegiance during the services, and the they would march the flags in and we would recite it.  During my twenties when I started re-reading the bible I got to the commandments the first one is "You shall not have any Gods before me"  I thought about it and came to the conclusion that the Pledge of Allegiance is against God's word.  When we were reciting it we were idoling a piece of cloth sewn to a flag.  That would be a sin.  And the part "one nation under GOD" is blasphemy.  Because of that conclusion I stopped reciting the pledge. 

Don't get me wrong, I respect the flag, but I will not worship it.  Also I do not attend any church services even the one at my own church on Memorial Sunday because of fear the may recite it.  I do not want any dirty looks for not putting my hand over my heart and saying something blasphemous.

Your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...